Sports Champions is a compilation action-sports title meant to show off Sony’s PlayStation Move motion controller in a similar vein to the Wii’s Wii Sports. It contains a total of 6 sporting events that can be played either alone or with up to three friends. The events are:
- Disc Golf – The goal of this game is to accurately throw a disc into a glowing pillar laying somewhere around the course. As the name implies this event is very similar to the game of golf, yet instead of swinging a golf club you are throwing a disc. The move controller detects everything from the angle of the disc to the power of your throw.
- Gladiator Duel – In this event you go one-on-one against an opponent in an epic duel. Armed with a sword and shield your goal is to completely lower you opponents health before they do the same to you or before time runs out. Properly blocking fills up a special meter that once filled allows you to unleash a powerful combo attack. This can be played with either one or two motion controllers.
- Archery – In this event you have to reach behind your back, grab an arrow, and fire away. The move controller allows you to feel like an archer and practice your accuracy skills. This can be played with either one or two motion controllers.
- Beach Volleyball – In volleyball you get to control your characters actions but not it’s movement. You have no saying on where your on-screen character can move, though at points you will have to do things like move the controller a certain way to make your character dive across the sand. This event is all about having perfect timing and placement with your partner in setting the ball and striking.
- Bocce – In this event two players take turns throwing balls across a field trying to get it to land next to another ball. The player who lands their balls closer wins the round. Knowing tricks like twisting your arm and spinning the ball will help you to get the ball to where you want it.
- Table Tennis – Table tennis is all about controlling a paddle to send a ball back and forth between players. It is like the sport of tennis except that it is played on a small table and uses paddles instead of rackets. The precision of the Move controller allows you to do moves like spins, lobs, and strikes very accurately. The goal of this game is to earn points by making your opponent miss your shots or send theirs out of bounds.
Each event contains a Champions Cup Mode. In Champions Cup Mode you must go against 10 opponents in increasing level of difficulties. Before you start the event you get to choose which character that you have unlocked to play with. There are three cups: bronze, silver, and gold, with gold being the most challenging. Having a quick time in events and not losing a lot of points allows you to earn up to three stars in each match. Having good scores allows you to gain trophies and also unlock things like new courses, clothing, items, and characters. There is also a Challenge Mode where you can play certain challenges to increase your score and a Free Play mode which you can play for fun with friends or just practice your skills.