Top Spin 2 recreates international tennis with multiple camera views. There are several game modes:
- Exhibition – A quick way to begin a match by simply selecting singles or doubles and assigning each controller.
- Party Games – These mini-games allow you to play tennis with a twist, similar to Mario Power Tennis:
- Time Bomb, in which you must not be the first player to have your countdown timer reach zero;
- Wall Breaker, in which you must break more of the opponent’s wall behind them than they do of yours;
- Splash Court, in which you must coat your opponent’s side of the court with as much paint as possible.
- Career – The meat of the game; create a player and take them through a multi-season career. In this mode you must manage training (either by taking on your coach, or by taking on mini-games, through which you earn skill points which can be assigned to player attributes), sponsors, and major tournaments to eventually become ranked #1 in the world.
It’s also possible to play against others around the world via Xbox Live – you can choose to play a Ranked Match with your own personal character, or instead choose a Player Match and play without any pressure.
Like the original Top Spin (for the X-Box), Top Spin 2 features 24 contemporary tennis pros, such as Venus Williams and Roger Federer. However, Top Spin 2 also features actual tennis locations such as Rod Laver Arena and Wimbeldon.